I’ve already talked about how much I love my library – here and (in a more roundabout way) here – and I wasn’t really planning on taking part in The Book Monsters’ Summer Library Challenge… but I had to at least jump in on this first week’s activity.
1. What’s the name of your library and how close is it to where you live?
The Carnegie-Stout Public Library is in downtown Dubuque, about 3.5 miles from where I live. I’ve walked there once or twice, but had my husband pick me up for a ride home. My little corner of Iowa is, believe it or not, quite hilly, and it’s much more uphill on the way home.
2. How frequently do you go to the library?
I go about once a week.
3. What is the first section you normally go to when you get to the library?
Either the holds shelf or the general fiction section. If I don’t have any books to pick up that week and I have a big pile already checked out, I might skip the stacks entirely and go straight to my favorite chair to read.
4. Share a link to your library’s webpage. How often do you use it and what for?
This is the library home page. Mostly I use their catalog to search the collection or put books on hold, or to check my account to see what’s coming up due soon. I probably sign on at least once a day. (I may have a problem…)
5. Does your library have a summer reading program for your age group? Do you participate and why or why not?
They do have one, but I’ve never participated. Maybe it’s silly not to sign up for something that could get me prizes for something I’m doing anyway, but I’ve just never felt the urge to sign up.
6. What is one thing you can think of that would make your library better?
I would love it if we could renew items more than once. Not that I need more than six weeks to read a book, but it would help me juggle the multitude of books I have out at any given time. (On the other hand, perhaps this way is better to keep my addiction in check.)
7. Does your library have a self checkout station and do you use it more than the circulation clerks?
I do primarily use the self checkout. It’s just quicker and easier, and I feel silly going to the counter and taking up someone’s time – even if it is their job – for something I could easily do myself. I usually only go to the desk if I have movies to pick up (since those holds are kept behind the desk) or a fine to pay.
8. What programs have you attended or thought of attending at your library?
My library shows movies once a month, and last year I went to see Star Trek Into Darkness.
9. Do you have family that utilizes the library with you? Who is your “library buddy”?
My husband comes with occasionally, but for the most part, going to the library is a “me time” activity.
10. What is the best thing about your library?
Is this a trick question? If I had to pick one thing, it’s that it feels so welcoming. I love that I have a place to go when I feel the need to get out for a while. My library lets me in and demands nothing in return. It’s like a home away from home.
I’m still not sure if I’ll participate in the rest of the event; for me, the library is a way of life, not a challenge. But I’ll be keeping an eye out.
Are you joining in the Summer Library Challenge?