Bookish (and not so bookish) Thoughts is a weekly meme hosted by Christine at Bookishly Boisterous that works well for my scattered mind.
- I heard a while back about a “silent reading party.” Unfortunately the link no longer works… but I still think it’s a cool idea, a way to mix quiet and reading with a little bit of social contact. Sure, you could just get together with a bunch of friends and read, but this was like an actual event, out in public, with strangers. It could be a little awkward (though, at least for me, less awkward than social events where you’re expected to talk to one another), but I still love the idea of it.
- It’s funny how a song that’s not your usual style and you probably wouldn’t like if it were by anyone else becomes really catchy when it’s one of your favorite artists.
- I’ve been trying to get better at being more active. But my husband and I were talking about it recently, and I realized that even when I “enjoyed” exercising (and I use that word very loosely), it was always a mental thing, not a physical thing. I never got that endorphin high that people always talk about. It almost makes me wonder if my messed up brain chemistry has anything to do with it. Not to say that it doesn’t help level me out (“clean living” advocates always say that exercise is the best yet most under-utilized anti-depressant, and I do believe there’s some truth to that), but just makes it impossible to take me to that next level. I dunno, I’m just speculating here.
- So, that wedding I mentioned last time? I just realized that it coincides with the next Bout of Books. I still plan to sign up, but it’s going to be a very, very, very low-key event for me.
- Having two cats – one of whom has stomach issues – makes travel plans a lot more confusing. When it was just Slider, if we were headed out of town for a weekend, we’d just load him up with food and water. If it was a longer trip, we’d take him with us. Leaving him at home was easier, but not a huge deal either way. Suddenly with the two of them… leaving them here or taking them with us are both a lot more stressful. I don’t know if I’d say Sammy is the reason that we’ve been staying home a lot more this year, but he’s definitely a factor.
- I got a Mother’s Day card… from my mother-in-law… but I don’t have any kids. Is this a thing, mothers out sending cards? (But only to other women, I guess?) Or is this a not-so-subtle hint?
- Recycled thought from January:
Also regarding Bout of Books, do you prefer a master post or daily updates? I’m definitely Team Daily Updates (as you can tell). It seems a lot of people do a master post as a consideration to those readers who aren’t participating, and I’m sure they appreciate it. But if I’m not participating in something, or a post doesn’t interest me, I just skip over it. No big deal. And if I’m following you, that means I want to see your updates… which I don’t get if you’re just editing the same post again and again. Daily updates ftw.
Share some of your randomness this week!