Bookish (and not so bookish) Thoughts is a weekly meme hosted by Christine at Bookishly Boisterous that works well for my scattered mind.
- Lauren’s back! This is one of my favorite non-book blogs, and she’s been on hiatus for a while, what with being pregnant and having a baby… but she’s back! I was so happy to see this post pop up in my reader.
- Keeping track of the medal counts for all the countries is fun, but what I’d really love to see is percentage of a country’s athletes that have medaled. Or, since team events complicate things, maybe ratio of medals to medal opportunities. I’ll probably put together some kind of spreadsheet for this once the games are over. Because I’m a nerd like that.
- Final Olympics thought… which is more heartbreaking when falling just short of a medal? Making stupid mistakes and knowing you should have done better… or doing the best you’ve ever done and it’s still not enough? I mean, they’re already the best in the world, but I imagine when you get so close and still walk away without a medal, it’s hard to keep that perspective.
- Pet peeve of the week: I know a major point of memes is to share links and blog hop… but seriously, make an effort. If you use a cut and paste comment and can’t even pretend you read my post, why would I want to take the time to visit yours?
- Amy wrote this great blog post this week about the need for negative reviews. I don’t like writing them, but that doesn’t mean they’re not important. But whenever this subject comes up, I always think about the people who say they can’t trust a blog that only shares positive opinions. Hopefully I share enough opinions outside of my full reviews (and even within my full reviews; it’s not like I’m giving everything five stars) that people will realize I focus on positive reviews by choice, not because I’m incapable of seeing fault in anything.
- I recently bought all three seasons of Avatar: The Last Airbender. Those of you familiar with the show will understand my joy over this.
- Last but not least, here’s a link to the Dubuque Tournament of Books! You can see the two books I started with, but I’m not telling which one I picked. You’ll have to wait until the official results!
Share some of your randomness this week!