Bookish (and not so bookish) Thoughts is a weekly meme hosted by Christine at Bookishly Boisterous that works well for my scattered mind.
- I’m finally re-reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I’ve been meaning to for a long while. Hoping I’ll get to several re-reads this year.
- I’m so tired of seeing Facebook links on Twitter! I get that it’s easier to just have everything cross-posted automatically, but they’re so annoying! Updates that cut off mid-sentence and a link that I’m never sure if it’s going to take me to a FB page or an external link (and if it takes me to an external link, then I’ll never know what the rest of the accompanying status said). Just stop. Please. Write a real tweet.
- On disconnecting the author from the text… I’m of two minds when it comes to this sort of thing. On the one hand, I do think I sometimes like a story more than I otherwise would when I’m already committed to the author. But on the other hand, I sometimes feel like I’m judging their books more harshly, holding them to a higher standard than I would an unknown author, because I know they’ve done better. My hope is that the two balance each other out. And if not, at least I can make my biases clear when I review. Because the article makes a good point – it doesn’t really matter. I don’t have to be objective. If I enjoy a book, what does it matter why? There are a million things that could influence me; knowing that I’m reading a beloved author is only one.
- I recently came across this surprisingly good article – 5 Facts Everyone Gets Wrong About Depression. And here I thought Cracked was only good for killing time.
- This has been a craptacular week. Here’s hoping things turn around soon.
Share some of your randomness this week!