Bookish (and not so bookish) Thoughts is a weekly meme hosted by Christine at Bookishly Boisterous that works well for my scattered mind.
- I was really lazy this past week; call it burnout after Bout of Books. But that’s the great thing about my new schedule for the new year… a review every Monday (or a set of mini-reviews, if it’s the first one of the month), and this post every Friday, and that’s two posts a week I don’t have to think about. Or at least, I don’t have to think about what to post, which is half the battle (actually sometimes it feels like the whole battle). Expect me to be a little more active again starting next week.
- I don’t think this is a revolutionary opinion among people who frequent my blog, but it’s worth revisiting, especially in the wake of Bout of Books. Someone else’s reading does not invalidate yours, so who cares what or how much they’re reading? After all, “pages ain’t nothing but a number.”
- Final Bout-of-Books-related thought. I mentioned a couple weeks ago that sometimes I worry about my light text on dark background, but I discovered last week that there are far worse things. Pastel on white and “fun” fonts that are nearly unreadable are two of the worst offenders I came across during Bout of Books. I shouldn’t have to strain my eyes to read your blog. And I guess maybe there are people out there who do have to strain their eyes to read mine. I’d ask my regular readers if my light-on-dark bothered you, but that would be a skewed sample. Still… even if it’s not a deal-breaker, anyone out there wish my blog had a different style? (Not that I’m taking suggestions, at least not at the moment. I’m just curious.) What are your own pet peeves or deal-breakers when it comes to blog design?
- So, remember my post on why I didn’t read Gone Girl? I’m reconsidering. Especially with the movie coming out, and especially after hearing the news that the ending is going to be changed. Damn my curiosity!
- I came across this this week – R.L. Stine and the Return of Fear Street. Fear Street were some of my favorites growing up. (I never got into Goosebumps… maybe I was just too old for them by the time I discovered R.L. Stine.) Since reading Silent Night before the holidays, I’ve been thinking about revisiting other books in the series, and the idea that it could be could be coming back is very exciting to my inner child.
- Now that the playoffs are narrowed down to four teams, it’s a little easier for me to pick sides… but not much. In the NFC game (49ers vs Seahawks), I lean 49ers because their head coach used to be a Bear, but I’m not really going to care if the game goes the other way. In the AFC game (Patriots vs Broncos), I’m absolutely rooting for the Broncos, because I think Peyton deserves another Super Bowl win.
- Oscar nominations have been announced. I’ve seen a grand total of three movies nominated, none in any of the major categories. The ones I’ve seen are Iron Man 3 (visual effects), Saving Mr. Banks (music – original score), and Star Trek Into Darkness (visual effects). That’s it. It’s not really surprising – I’m never up on current movies, especially not the kind of movies that are Oscar bait – but I always find it interesting when this time comes around every year how I don’t have any favorites to be invested in.
- I’m so excited that the jigsaw puzzles are back at My Shelf Confessions! They’re a great diversion; I usually do the puzzles even if I have no interest in the giveaway (although this time around it’s a $5 gift card, so there’s no reason not to enter).
- I’m going to be doing something new and exciting in the next couple months! I don’t think it’s a secret… I mean, I was never asked not to talk about it here. But I think I’ll keep it under wraps for a while longer and talk about it more at length when there’s more to talk about.
Share some of your randomness this week!