Bookish (and not so bookish) Thoughts is a new weekly meme hosted by Christine at Bookishly Boisterous.
1. My first “random read” in a long time, one pulled from the library shelves with no prior knowledge of the book or author, was a moderate success. I’ll go into more detail about Keith Raffel’s Smasher next week.
2. Last weekend I went to my one and only costume party this season, and I went as Robin Sparkles. My costume plans kinda started falling apart when the iron-on rhinestones (cheaper than a BeDazzler) wouldn’t stay on the jacket, and I chickened out on dying my hair… but whatever. (Also, you can’t see them, but I am wearing my jelly bracelets… along with my cool graffiti coat…)
3. I’ve been going a bit overboard with my weekly library visits, and I’ve hit the point now where I can’t renew the books anymore and am having to send some of them back unread. Not that I haven’t done that in the past, usually because I was just never in the mood for that particular book while I had it out… but this is just literally having too many books and not enough time.
4. I’m going to Chicago this weekend. You may hear me talk about “going to Chicago” all the time, meaning I visit my family and friends in the suburbs… but this time I’m literally going to Chicago. My husband and I are meeting up with a college friend of his and her new fiancé (well, not so new anymore, but we’ve never met him) and doing some touristy stuff in the city. I’m simultaneously excited and stressed.
5. This article on BookRiot – Creative Book Marketing: Awesome Bookstore Signage Edition – is pretty sweet. The only thing I don’t like: blind date with a book. I think it’s a fantastic idea for libraries, but a pretty crappy one for bookstores. Unless the cashier has a way of knowing what’s inside, so you’re not getting something you already read/own… but then that’s not really a “blind date” anymore. I just wouldn’t want to take a chance on a purchase like that. (Though I guess you do that to an extent whenever you buy something you’re not familiar with… which is why I don’t do that either.)
For more of my random thoughts – both bookish and not so bookish – you can follow me on Twitter if you don’t already.
Share some of your randomness this week!